Lucy Alexander’s top tips on buying a new home
Buying your new home comes with many associated costs. Be sure to know exactly what you’re buying by asking the right questions.
However, after the expense of a house move most of us have very little left in the bank to spend too much on anything else. You have a budget and you want to stick to it, so what’s the best way to go about it? What must you remember to include in your project budget and are there any tricks that could help you stay on budget – or even under? The answer is yes and visiting our Budget Planning guide will help you achieve this! Below are some tips to help you get the most for your money and help you navigate the journey of buying a new home.
- Be realistic about what you can afford, this may mean making compromises so that in the long run you’re not signed up to a mortgage that is out of reach.
- Approach lenders to get a mortgage in principle. This will be reassuring for you and the seller in knowing that once you’ve found your dream home you’ll be able to put in an offer. This will also give the seller confidence that you are able to follow the sale through.
- View lots of properties and ask plenty of questions, be sure to find a house that is suitable for your lifestyle. Properties that require a little work needn’t scare you off, it could save you money and allow you to make it your own.
- Ensure you hire a surveyor to conduct a structural survey, this could save you the stress and expense tied to homes with serious structural problems.
- Enjoy your new home by adding your own personal touches of style.
Not looking to move, but want to refresh your living space instead? Check out our Home Transformation Hub for some top tips!