Luxury vinyl tiles care guide
You’ve invested in luxury vinyl tiles to make your house a home. To ensure they look their best over the years you will need to clean and maintain them properly. We’ve pulled together a care guide to help you, packed with expert hints and tips!
Top tips for luxury vinyl tiles
Ensure any rugs or blankets being placed onto your flooring have a non-slip backing to prevent them from sliding around the room. Alternatively, you can invest in non-slip rug underlay to use with them.
Using strips of wood or hardboard as runners with goods that are too heavy to lift can help to protect your vinyl flooring. Using such an approach is advisable even if the heavy items have wheels or rollers.
To avoid damage, never push or drag furniture around on luxury vinyl tile flooring. Lift any furniture that needs to be moved.
How do you clean luxury vinyl floors?
Luxury vinyl flooring is known for being easy to clean and this makes it a practical addition to family homes where spillages and stains are more common.
- Luxury vinyl flooring is wonderfully simple to clean and many floors will require little more than a regular brush and mop.
- Vacuum regularly or sweep with a soft brush to remove loose debris.
- Wash weekly to get rid of stains. Never soak the floor but use a well wrung out mop or damp cloth to clean the surface instead.
Removing stains from luxury vinyl tiles
Luxury vinyl tiles are known for being easy to clean, but some stains, especially in the kitchen, may be more difficult to remove than others. Read on for our top tips below:
- Use a damp cloth with hot water and a mild detergent to lift the stain or mark.
- Never soak or wet the floor, but use a well wrung out mop or cloth to wipe at the stain.
- If this does not work, try using a soft bristled brush to remove the mark. Use only gentle movements to rub at the stain so as not to damage the surface of the vinyl tiles.
- For an alternative approach, chemicals and cleaning agents can be used to remove stubborn stains. However, you need to make sure these chemicals are suitable for use on LVT flooring and are safe for use in your home.
- Always wipe the surface of the floor thoroughly with a damp cloth using clean water after use.
- Dry thoroughly before letting children or animals back into the room.
- We wouldn’t advise you to use aggressive cleaning agents on your LVT floor, or to use steam cleaners or to let puddles of water remain after cleaning.
How do you maintain luxury vinyl tiles?
General maintenance tips for your luxury vinyl flooring
Vinyl care is easy – a simple brush and clean on a weekly basis can keep your flooring looking as good as new.
- Placing doormats at all entrances to a home will help to trap dirt and moisture. Large doormats at main entrances will significantly reduce dirt from outside being spread around your home and onto your luxury tiles. The doormats themselves should be cleaned regularly.
- To keep your flooring looking its best, shutting blinds or curtains to prevent extreme sunlight can help to slow or prevent discolouring or the fading of vinyl tiles.
Maintaining the finish of your luxury vinyl tiles
- To maintain the lavish finish of luxury vinyl tiles, you will need to remove food stains, grease or liquid spills as soon as they happen, where possible. Fortunately, this can often be done using cleaning fluids and a damp cloth, although you should always check the label to make sure the cleaning solutions are compatible with the flooring.
- Remember that some cleaners contain chemicals that can cause the floor to become slippery, so it’s vital to limit the amount that is used.
- Similarly, wax should not be used with vinyl flooring as this can make the floor slippery and can dull the appearance of the tiles. You should also check that any cleaning chemicals are safe for use with vinyl floors and check they are suitable for homes with animals or children.
How do you repair luxury vinyl flooring?
Is it simple to repair or replace your luxury vinyl tiles? The answer is yes. Any scratches or holes in your LVT flooring can be fixed without the need to remove an entire tile. But even if a tile is severely damaged, the good news is you can replace one or more LVT planks without having to rip up the entire floor.
Repairing your luxury vinyl tiles
- The main ingredient you’ll need for your repair is called epoxy resin, a clear liquid that will dry out to create a hard filling for the hole or scratch in your LVT.
- Next, to get the colour right, find an acrylic artist’s paint that matches the colour of the luxury vinyl tile that needs to be repaired.
- Mix the epoxy resin with the artist’s paint and place it in the hole or scratch you wish to fill.
Level out the mixture, removing any excess and then leave the repair to dry.
How to remove and replace vinyl flooring tiles
- Use a blow dryer or heat gun to loosen the adhesive under the tile which it holds it in place. This will allow you to remove the tile from the floor entirely.
- Then wipe the floor beneath the tile clean before replacing the removed tile with a new one that is cut to size and glued down in place.
- Make sure the new tile matches your existing flooring and align any patterns on the floor to achieve a professional result.
- Use a rolling pin or floor roller to ensure that the new tile sticks firmly into place and to prevent any air bubbles, lumps or bumps from appearing in the surface and causing a potential trip hazard.
What are the best tips to care for luxury vinyl tiles?
Sweep with a soft broom
Put doormats and rugs by doors
Keep pets’ nails trimmed
Over wet the LVT if attempting to remove stains
Use a steam mop
Drag furniture across your LVT
Place in direct sunlight