Luxury Vinyl Tile Care Guide
To keep your new luxury vinyl tiles looking their best, here are a few helpful tips for when it’s time to clean and repair, covering topics including:
- How to maintain luxury vinyl tiles
- How to clean vinyl tiles
- How to repair or replace vinyl tiles
- Safety advice
1. Luxury Vinyl Tile maintenance
- A simple brush and clean on a weekly basis can keep your flooring looking good as new.
- Placing doormats at all of the entrances to a home will help to trap dirt and moisture. Large doormats at main entrances will significantly reduce dirt from outside being spread around your home and onto your luxury tiles. The doormats themselves should be cleaned regularly.
How do you keep your Luxury Vinyl Tiles looking their best?
- To maintain the lavish finish of Luxury Vinyl Tiles you will need to remove food stains, grease or liquid spills as soon as they happen, where possible. Fortunately this can often be done using cleaning fluids and a damp cloth, although you should always check that label to make sure the cleaning solutions are compatible with the flooring.
- Remember that some cleaners contain chemicals which can cause the floor to become slippery so it’s vital to limit the amount that is used.
- Similarly, wax should not be used with vinyl flooring as this can also make it slippery and even dull the appearance of the tiles. You should also check any cleaning chemicals are safe for use with vinyl floors and check their safety for homes with animals or children.
- To keep your flooring looking its best, shutting blinds or curtains to prevent extreme sunlight can help to slow or prevent discolouring or the fading of vinyl tiles caused by sunlight.
Can I use underlay with luxury vinyl tiles?
Yes. When laying click vinyl tiles, underlay can help to insulate against noise and to prolong the life of the flooring. There are a number of underlay options available and all will help to make your flooring even more comfortable underfoot, removing any imperfections.
Some underlay can also be used with underfloor heating systems should you have one installed already or wish to install such a system in your bathroom or other living areas. For tips and advice to help you choose the right underlay for your floor, take a look at our handy Underlay Buying Guide.
How should I move heavy furniture?
Vinyl floor tiles are very robust but they can still be damaged, especially when heavy furniture is moved across the surface.
- Using floor protectors is highly recommended as this will support your furniture and limit the indentations that may occur.
- Heavy items should be lifted rather than dragged into place.
- The use of coasters or floor protectors also ensures that furniture and other heavy items such as fridges and freezers do not slide across the flooring.
- Using strips of wood or hardboard as runners with goods that are too heavy to lift can help to protect your vinyl flooring. Using such an approach is advisable even if the heavy items have wheels or rollers.
2. Cleaning Luxury Vinyl Tiles
Vinyl flooring is known for being easy to clean and this makes it a practical addition to family homes where spillages and stains are more common.
- Luxury vinyl flooring is wonderfully simple to clean and many floors will require little more than a regular brush and mop.
- Vacuum regularly or sweep with a soft brush to remove loose debris.
- Wash weekly to get rid of stains. Never soak the floor but use a well wrung out mop or damp cloth to clean the surface instead.
How do you remove stubborn stains and marks from Luxury Vinyl Tiles?
Luxury Vinyl Tiles are known for being easy to clean but some stains, especially in the kitchen, may be more difficult to remove than others.
- First use a damp cloth with hot water and a mild detergent to lift the stain or mark.
- Never soak or wet the floor but use a well wrung out mop or cloth to wipe at the stain.
- If this does not work then try using a soft bristled brush to remove the mark. Use only gentle movements to rub at the stain so as not to damage the surface of the vinyl tiles.
- For an alternative approach, chemicals and cleaning agents can be used to remove stubborn stains. However, you need to make sure these chemicals are suitable for use on vinyl tiles and are safe for use in your home.
- Always wipe the surface of the floor thoroughly with a damp cloth using clean water after use and dry thoroughly before letting children or animals back into the room.
3. Repairing or replacing Luxury Vinyl Tiles
Is it simple to repair LVT? The answer is yes. Any scratches or holes in your luxury vinyl flooring can be fixed without the need to remove an entire tile, although this is option may be needed in more severe cases of damage:
In instances where you wish to make repairs:
- Holes can be filled with clear epoxy resin which is mixed with acrylic artist’s paint that matches the colour of the flooring. This is placed into the hole or scratch and levelled out with any excess removed before being left to dry.
For instances where a damaged tile needs replacing altogether:
- Use a blow dryer or heat gun to loosen the adhesive under the tile which it holds it in place. This will allow you to remove the tile from the floor entirely.
- Then wipe the floor beneath the tile clean before replacing the removed tile with a new one that is cut to size and glued down in place.
- Make sure the new tile matches your existing flooring and align any patterns on the floor to achieve a professional result.
- Use a rolling pin or floor roller to ensure that the new tile sticks firmly into place and to prevent any air bubbles, lumps or bumps from appearing in the surface and causing a potential trip hazard.
4. Safety Advice
- Vinyl flooring is water resistant which means it will not absorb liquid spills and this allows such substances to collect on the surface in puddles and pose a slip or fall hazard. Make sure all spillages are mopped up as soon as they occur, where possible.
- Ensure any rugs or blankets being placed onto your flooring have a non-slip backing to prevent them from sliding around the room.
- Alternatively, you can invest in non-lip rug underlay to use with them.
- Always ensure rugs and mats are placed in appropriate area of the room where they are unlikely to curl up at the edges or pose a trip hazard. However, be careful with what type of rug you choose as rubber backed rugs may discolour your flooring.
All Carpetright flooring is fire safety checked but you should still keep your Luxury Vinyl Tiles away from extreme heats, fires or naked flames.
Visit our guides section for more helpful after care tips, buying guides and more!