To celebrate Lumpy Rug Day (yes, it’s a real thing!) on the 3rd May, we thought it’d be nice to give a little TLC to the rugs in our lives which often go under-appreciated and unloved.
Here we give you our top tips on how to clean a rug, to give your floors a bit of a boost and get your rugs looking, smelling and feeling fresh.
What you’ll need
- A vacuum cleaner
- A sponge or soft bristled brush
- Mild washing-up liquid
- A bucket
- A squeegee
How to clean a rug
- Vacuum both sides of the rug thoroughly to remove any loose dirt.
- If you’re using rug cleaner follow the instructions for mixing otherwise add 2 caps of mild washing-up liquid to warm water. Don’t use hot water as this could shrink the fibres or cause colours to fade.
- Test a small area of the rug first to check that the colours don’t run.
- Use a sponge or brush to lather the mix into the rug and leave for a few minutes.
- Rinse this off with a garden hose and make sure it is clear of suds.
- Remove any excess water with a squeegee making sure you work in the direction of the rug fibres.
- Use a fan to dry the rug or hang it out to dry – don’t lay it on the floor to dry as this could cause water damage to your flooring.
- Vacuum again when dry to catch any loose fibres.
Once you’ve got your rug back to its former glory, there are a few things you can do to keep it in tip-top condition for as long as possible…
- Fluff out the tassels using your hand – don’t risk damaging tassels with a vacuum cleaner.
- Try rotating your rug every so often to ensure wear is evenly distributed over time.
- If you are moving the rug or storing it, always roll it up as folding can cause creases or folds.
- To restore the colour of a rug, try using a little white vinegar. Mix 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and blot in the direction of the carpet pile.
- Clean stains as soon as they appear by blotting and then wiping in straight lines – don’t scrub in circular motions as this can damage the rug’s fibres.
As you can see, it’s not hard to care for the rugs in your home, just a little care and attention will keep them looking like new for years to come!
If you are having other problems then visit our inspiration and advice pages to find a helpful solutions to cleaning, selecting appropriate flooring for your household and more.