The living room, lounge, front room or den. Whatever you call your favourite reception room, it’s where the majority of us Brits spend our evenings. It’s where we gather as a family to watch TV, sometimes eat our dinner and do our online shopping. It’s at the heart of festivities, a dance floor at parties and a place to relax and spread out in your favourite chair.
If you’ve been looking at your living room lately thinking it looks a bit tired and could do with a refresh but money is tight, fear not. There are lots of ways to give your lounge a make-over without breaking the bank.
Small changes can make a big difference when it comes to interior design. Here are a few living room ideas on a budget:
- Change the flooring. This doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Check out our Essential Value carpet range to see what we have in store to take away today. Or pop into your local Carpetright store and see if there are any carpet remnants – there could be one that does the job perfectly. Or maybe there’s a laminate or a cool vinyl that would suit your living space. Alternatively, if you have great floorboards, you could simply paint them for a funky finish.
- Revamp your furniture. Don’t throw that tired sideboard or nest of tables away, rub them down and paint to match your room and bring them back to life. For the cost of a pot of paint you will feel like you have a brand new piece that is styled perfectly to fit your home and best of all is unique.
- Recycle. Need some storage? Second hand shops, boot sales and charity shops are a gold mine of trunks and chests or furniture at a fraction of the cost of buying new. These old items were built to last so you’ll get years of use. They usually just need a little bit of TLC to give them a new lease of life.
- Upcycle. Do you need a new coffee table? Look around your local area for pallets, crates and wooden boxes. These can make great statement pieces varnished with wheels added at the corners. Or keep them as they are for an authentic look that is perfect for rustic styling.
- Check out what you’ve stored. Maybe in your loft or the cupboard under the stairs there are some gems of old bits and pieces that you’ve forgotten about. That kitsch ornament may look fabulous sprayed silver, or those old postcards would make a great montage in a frame.
- Add a rug. Rugs come in all sorts of styles and adding one to your room can make a big impact. For example striped rugs in a plain room can really pop and look fabulous. Bright contemporary rugs can add a bit of drama where a more traditional rug will give your room a classic finish.
- Accessorise. The addition of cushions, pictures and ornaments can give a room a totally different feel and changing lampshades, sofa covers or curtains are another quick fix for a different look. Photo frames, inexpensive canvasses and quirky ornaments can add a splash of colour to the walls and give the room a sense of identity. Why not buy a cheap clip frame and display all your concert or theatre tickets or travel memorabilia? This creates something unique to you and, more importantly, looks cool.
- Introduce plants. Sounds simple and it is. Green plants add a gorgeous natural feel and can help to bring the outdoors inside.
Even just using one or two of these hints will give your lounge a facelift and choosing a few of them will give it a real make-over, all without spending out too much. If you want to start with the flooring, check out our rugs, carpets or laminate for inspiration.
Feeling inspired to take a look around your local Carpetright store today? Use our store locator to find your nearest branch.